- Course Introduction
- Instructor Information
- Course Syllabus/ Weekly Schedule
- Where to go for Help?
- To-Do List
Course Number: CS_225_40X (0/1/2/3/4)
Term Offered: All Terms
Instructor's Name: Samina Ehsan
Hello again! I’m Samina Ehsan, and I am the designer and instructor of CS-225_40X(0/1/2/3/4/5): Discrete Structures in CS. This course deals with the mathematical and theoretical concepts that you will need in the later courses in this program. I hope you enjoy the course.
My office hours are on Tuesdays 4:00 - 6:00 pm PDT (fixed) via MS Teams/Zoom. However, you can always email me at email@example.com to schedule an office hour by appointment if you are unable to attend my fixed weekly office hours.
- Ed Discussion is the best way to reach me for any course-related queries. We (the instructional team) can refer back to our previous discussions here and also as it will be visible to the entire class so the other students will be able to get benefit from it. Not all posts require a reply from us and often it is better for students to hash out an answer to a question. But please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you do not receive a reply within 24 hours.
- I can be reached via the class-specific MS Teams/Zoom during my office hours. I also check MS Teams frequently outside my designated office hours so you can tag or DM me (@ehsans) if required.
- Sending an email at (email@example.com) is a preferred way only for a matter of a personal nature related to the course, or scheduling a meeting outside the fixed office hour timings, or if you have not received a reply to your post/message on Ed Discussion/MS Teams within 24 hours (please include the prefix CS225_40X_U22 in the subject). Please resend me the email if one of us does not respond within 24 hours.
- I and the ULAs try our best to monitor Canvas email. But there are fewer options to sort and filter mail via that system so there is a much higher likelihood that we will miss things that get sent via Canvas mail. So, We strongly recommend that you do not use it.
Course Guidelines+Syllabus, Weekly Schedule, and Syllabus Quiz:
- The detailed guidelines+syllabus for this course are provided in the following document - CS-225-Detailed_Syllabus_U22_Updated.pdf
- The weekly schedule for this course is provided in the following document - CS-225_Abbreviated_Weekly_Schedule_U22.pdf
- Students registered to this course must take a syllabus quiz by July 01, 2022. The syllabus quiz link for this course is provided as follows -Syllabus Quiz
Please use one of the following means to get help in this class -
- Ed Discussion:
Ed Discussion is the best place to ask any course-related queries. Please post all course-related questions on Piazza so that the whole class may benefit from your conversation. This also means more people will be available to respond to your discussion posts. Moreover, when you respond to posts, you'll be helping out more people.
- Office Hours:
You can ask questions to the instructor or undergraduate learning assistants(ULAs) during their weekly office hours. Don't waste your time if you are not understanding a concept, rather ask the instructor or ULAs for help. Please find the office hours and contact information provided as below-
Instructor's Office Hours and Contact Information:
The instructor's office hours are on Tuesdays 4:00 - 6:00 pm PDT (fixed) via MS Teams/Zoom. However, you can always email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an office hour by appointment if you are unable to attend my fixed weekly office hours.
ULA Office Hours and Contact Information:
The Undergraduate Learning Assistants will hold fixed weekly office hours starting from week 1. Office hours are held via MS Teams (Channel -#Office_Hours)/ Zoom.
- Byron Hedden
Office Hours: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM PST on Thursdays
Zoom Link: https://oregonstate.zoom.us/j/96951046026?pwd=aWExYUdNbXpIT1N5b0xhVFExeGNEQT09
- Darren Zheng
Office Hours: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM PST on Sundays
Zoom Link: https://oregonstate.zoom.us/j/96688383605?pwd=enVaN0xCck5yWVQ3RVRkVHU3Q0lZQT09
- Nicolas Bernal
Office Hours: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM PST on Wednesdays
Zoom Link: https://oregonstate.zoom.us/j/92918293186?pwd=NGQvWjA1b0xEUzZMOTJjUG5PYVlqUT09
- Andrew Niman
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM PST on Tuesdays
Zoom Link: https://oregonstate.zoom.us/j/94833168618?pwd=NW9rTXpHOFg1a3E2eHF6VGJlcXg1QT09
- Isaac Best
Office Hours: 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM PST on Fridays
Zoom Link: https://oregonstate.zoom.us/j/96936204292?pwd=cmdsdmhHSEZmazI3OEVqbXc3TVFvdz09
For tutoring assistance, the Oregon State Online Tutoring is a great resource for students enrolled in Ecampus courses. For writing assistance, visit the Oregon State Online Writing Suite. If you have additional tutoring needs for Computer Science, or have questions about CS services, please contact Casey Patterson, CS Student Success Coordinator at email@example.com.
You must complete the following introductory tasks by this week-
- Introduce yourself on Ed Discussion.
- Add yourself to MS Teams.
- Read the syllabus and weekly schedule documents thoroughly. Mark your calendar with the due dates.
- Take the syllabus quiz. You will find the quiz here - Syllabus Quiz (Due by July 01, 2022).
- Review the CIE Topics.
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.